Why Intrinsically Safe 2-Way Radios Are Important, and How to Identify Them
If you work in an environment that’s considered hazardous — i.e., one with fumes, dust, gas, water, or a heavy amount of electrical equipment — it’s imperative that the two-way radios you use are certified as intrinsically safe (IS). Otherwise, you put yourself and your coworkers at a heightened risk for accident, injury, or worse. Read on to learn why, and the factors you should keep in mind when purchasing new radios.
What It Means to Be Intrinsically Safe
Electricity is what we’d call an intrinsic part of any two-way radio: it’s essential to the nature and operation of the device. When we refer to certain models as being intrinsically safe, we’re saying that they’re designed to prevent electricity from causing harm to their users. That means suppressing any potential sparks or heat from coming into contact with the surrounding environment and igniting.
Not all radios come with this protection baked in, so it’s important that you choose options that meet the safety requirements for your industry. And because these radios are designed specifically for environments where a spark or heat could lead to combustion, they’re ideal for those operating in chemical plants, oil rigs, coal mines, lumber yards, and grain mills.
Your IS Checklist
Here’s a checklist to verify if a two-way radio is intrinsically safe:
- They meet military specs for durability, vibration, and shock resistance.
- They meet requirements for each class of hazardous environment:
- Flammable vapors and gasses (Class 1)
- Flammable dust (Class 2)
- Flammable fibers (Class 3)
- They offer clear sound quality.
- They include a good warranty policy.
RCA’s RDR4200 Series
DTWR is proud to offer intrinsically safe two-way radios, including some from RCA’s RDR4200 series. These models have been independently certified by OSHA and a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), meet all of the requirements from the checklist above, and come with the following features:
- RadioSync, the ability to synchronize with any of your current units, regardless of brand.
- Durability that meets Military Standard 810C, 810D, 810E, 810F, and 810G.
- IP67 rating — dustproof and waterproof.
- Affordability — they’re 30 percent less than comparable models from other brands.
If you’re looking for the safest radios on the market, we want to hear from you! Give our award-winning customer service team a call today to learn about the best options that are in stock and available to ship immediately.